This tasty and filling Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup will warm you up on those cold winter days.
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and add red onion and bell peppers. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become soft and fragrant, around 4-5 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper, cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices become fragrant, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomato paste, and black beans. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine. Add vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the corn, cilantro and fresh lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before serving.
© 2021 The Recipe Cookbook