This is a quick, simple and inexpensive way to remove air from plastic bags without needing a vacuum sealing machine.
- Zip-lock bags
- Deep container full of water.
- Place your food inside the Zip-lock bag.
- Seal the bag leaving one or two inches open at one end.
- Carefully lower the bag into the water.
- As the bag is lowered into the water, the pressure of the water will push the air out of the bag through the open section.
- Just before the open section gets submerged, seal the opening and take the bag out of the water.
- The food will now be sealed in a mostly air-free bag.
When you freeze food in bags you want them to be air free because any air will dry out foods like meat and cause it to lose flavor, texture and color.
This method can also be used for marinating. It will help to distribute the marinade around the food better.
For freezing berries, first freeze them overnight on a tray, keeping them separated, so that they freeze individually and don’t stick together.
When frozen, place them in a Zip-lock bag. Quickly dip them in ice-cold water and seal them.
Immediately put them back into the freezer.
See Video Below: