This is the best technique for making incredibly juicy and insanely golden crispy skinned chicken thighs
Chicken thighs are inexpensive and packed full of flavor, but I bet you didn't know how juicy and crispy they could be.
We are going cook them sous-vide with the ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide precision cooker. Plus I've got a great trick for you to get all the skin super crispy, with no more chewy skin.
This technique is perfect for weeknights or any night really, and with chicken thighs all you have to do is prep them drop them in your ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide and walk away while they cook.
The water never gets any hotter than the temperature we want the chicken to cook and so there is no risk of overcooking.
While the thighs are getting juicy you can relax and make some side dishes.
- 8 Chicken Thighs
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Set the temperature of your ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide to 167 Fahrenheit.
- Bone the Thighs - To bone the chicken thighs we just have to take our thighs lay them on their backs cut out the bone. Taking the bone out the chicken thighs will make them cook faster and more evenly
- Pound the skin. Pounding the skin is going to help you get a really nice even, golden, crusty skin.
- Season with a little salt and pepper. Pop them in a zip lock style bag and take out the air. You don’t need a vacuum machine, you can use the water vacuum method - see video here -
- Put two thighs per bag laid out flat and add a little bit of oil.
- Put the in the ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide and cook for 45 minutes.
- When the chicken is done quickly sear the skin to get it nice and crispy.
- Make sure your non-stick pan is about medium-high heat. To tell if your pan is ready put a drop of water in it. If it sizzles, the pan is ready
- Lay the chicken thighs skin side down. You know they're cooked just the way you want on the inside so this is all about finishing them. As you sear them you should see a lot of fat coming out of the skin that's a good thing. Cook them until the skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with a salad and enjoy!