A hint of heat adds an unexpected twist to this refreshing summertime favorite. The key to striking the right balance with recipe is to start with small amounts of jalapeno and gradually add more until you find just the right level of spice to suit your tastes. It’s a lot easier to add more than it is to adjust everything else to compensate for too much heat. This recipe is great on its own or mixed with vodka or tequila for an adults-only treat.
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice (6-8 medium lemons)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tsp jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, finely minced
- 1/3 cup honey, preferably local
- Rosemary sprigs with lower leaves removed
- Cucumber chunks or slices
- Jalapeno chunks or slices
- Lemon wedges
- Add water, lemon juice, cucumber, jalapeno, and honey to a blender and blend until completely liquefied. Taste and add more jalapeno and/or honey, if desired. Blend again if necessary.
- Pour liquid through a fine mesh strainer to remove any larger particles and transfer mixture to a large pitcher. Place in refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- To serve, pour over ice and garnish with slices of lemon, cucumber, and/or jalapeno. For a fancier presentation, thread chunks of cucumber and jalapeno onto sprigs of rosemary to garnish each glass.