White Chicken Chili – Slow Cooker Recipe
This Slow Cooker, White Chicken Chili will make a nice spicy change to the normal beef Chili con Carne. Serve with white rice and garlic bread.
- 3 15-oz. cans Great Northern beans, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 4-oz. can mild green chilies
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 3 cups chicken broth, preferably organic
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups Mexican blend cheese, finely shredded, divided
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 2 large limes, cut into wedges
Optional, to serve:
- Drain and rinse the beans to remove excess salt. Place half the beans in a blender or food processor with some water and process until blended, but still slightly chunky. Transfer the puréed beans to a 5 or 6-quart slower cooker, along with the remaining whole beans.
- Add chicken, red onion, garlic, green chilies, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, coriander, chipotle pepper powder, and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine. Cover and set cook time to 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- When cook time is complete, remove lid and add 1 cup of the shredded cheese and stir to combine. Cover and allow cheese to melt for 1-2 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Serve immediately with remaining Mexican cheese, fresh cilantro, avocado, jalapeño slices, and/or lime wedges, if desired.